Return to the classroom with confidence this year with tons of back-to-school resources and new content from Discovery Education! Read on to find professional learning tips, new resources for the month of August, trending topics in education, and ways to create magic in your classroom as you head back to school!
Pop of Professional Learning
Back to school is a busy time for everyone, but Discovery Education has ways to fit professional learning into even the smallest time slot in your schedule.
- Check out the on-demand, 3-5 minute microlearnings in the Professional Learning NOW channel.
- Review the Learning on Demand presentations from Discovery Educator Network (DEN) members.
With resources on technology integration, classroom management, and more, you can brush up on important topics AND fit professional learning into your busy Back to School prep!
Pump up your lesson plans with new resources from Discovery Education! Whether you’re looking to help your students stay up to date with current events, learn about the 300+ shark species in our oceans, or help primary students interact with sounds and letters, Discovery Education Experience has new content to help you craft exciting lessons.
Extend those fun, summer feelings to the classroom this back-to-school season by bringing back Shark Week! In case you missed it this year—or just want to see all of this astonishing content again—plunge into our Shark Week Channel or read ideas for creating engaging Shark Week-themed science lessons from a Texas science educator!
Check out a brand-new DE Original series, Need to Know, to help K-5 students engage with important U.S. historical events! This elementary collection pairs engaging, learner-centered videos with ready-to-use lessons, and resources about the American Revolution are live in Discovery Education Experience now! With this new content, students can look back in time to the beginning of the Revolution, then consider its causes, investigate its important events, and evaluate how it ended.
Get ready for new content! Stay tuned this year for a new K-2 English Language Arts collection, Electric Company, from Sesame Learning with research-based resources and lessons and updated content from trusted partners, including Shark Week, The Fixies, Coyote Peterson, Vooks, Cram Jams, Fable Cottage, and more!
Celebrate these exciting August holidays with engaging content brought to your classroom by Discovery Education’s partnerships with industry leaders!
- Literacy: Literacy instruction is a hot topic for teachers and has a big impact for students’ futures! Read up on reading instruction with new ready-to-use literacy content from The Dollar General Literacy Foundation, Discovery Education, and the National Afterschool Association. A few minutes of literacy learning a day contributes to a lifetime of success, and these literacy explorations are flexibly designed to fit easily into your busy back-to-school schedule!
- Aviation Day (August 19): Celebrate Aviation Day with Future U. from Boeing and Discovery Education! FUTURE U. offers hands-on learning experiences for grades 6-12 to inspire and equip the next generation of STEM professionals in aerospace.
- Labor Day (September 4): Established as a national holiday in 1894, Labor Day recognizes workers and the labor movement. Celebrate the achievements of workers in the United States throughout its history with this exploration of Labor Day.
Icebreakers are the best way to get to know a new group of people! Have students create a Studio Board with their interests, fun facts, and details to help you get to know them and help them get to know their classmates. You can add text, video, images, audio, and buttons to Studio boards or slideshows. Students can then share what makes them unique with the class and ultimately create new friendships!
As you head back to school this year, don’t forget Discovery Education is headed back with you! No matter what you teach or how your students learn, we’re here to give you what you need, right when you need it.